Ready, SET, SPIKE!
Get your game on and join Play Mile High for grass and sand volleyball leagues – 6v6 and 4v4. Join one of our volleyball leagues in Denver for a fun and social time on the court in City Park, LoDo, Wash Park, & beyond. Please make sure your captain selects the skill level at which your team would like to play.
COVID Safety Standards
- Health Declaration via the Volo App before each activity.
- Temperature checks to ensure body temperature does not exceed 100.4
- Hand Sanitizing Stations will be provided at each league.
- Equipment Sanitization during and in between league play to mitigate the spread of germs.
- Face Masks are required to be worn by staff and players at all times.
- Notifications of illness within 14 days of play will be reported to Volo customer service and Volo will notify potentially exposed persons.
- Social Distancing via clear markers to keep players 6 feet apart.
- Limited Activity Capacity in adherence to local guidelines.
- Modified Rules when necessary to limit contact and maintain social distancing.
Upcoming Volleyball Leagues in Denver
We pride ourselves in making sure that we provide everything you need to play safely, relax, and have a blast. All you need to do is show up and find your team – we’ve got everything else covered! Click here for more details on our COVID Safety Standards.
How to Sign Up
- Minimum players for a full volleyball team is 9. If you do not meet this minimum your team will be merged with free agents.
- A Captain must create a team and all the team members must “join” the team. The Captain can pay for everyone or you can split up the fee’s among team members.
- Yes! You can sign up together even if you do not have a full team!
- Have Captain “create team” & Note Estimated Players
- Teammates Join “team” (Before signup deadline)
- Once Registration is closed we will merge you with other small groups and free-agents
- Signing up as a solo player is the best way to meet people in Denver!
- We will place you with a small group and/or other free agents to form a full team after the registration closes.
- If you have a friend that decides to sign up just have them note to be put on the same team as you!
Play Mile High Volleyball FAQ
What can I expect at a Play Mile High Volleyball League?
A premiere, FUN experience! Plan to arrive at the field 10-15 minutes before game time to meet up with your teammates and get ready to play in your Denver volleyball league. Make sure you pencil us in for at least 45-minutes or best of three games, whichever come first. The first two games are to 21 (win by 2, capped at 25), while the third game is played to 15 (win by 2, capped at 18). Once your game ends, the night is just beginning. Head to your sponsor bar for drink specials and a chance to meet everyone in your league.
How competitive are the Volleyball Leagues?
We’re all about being social here at Play Mile High! While we offer some competitive volleyball leagues, those are specifically labeled as such and everything else is all about being social. Check each league for specific information on the Denver volleyball page or shoot us an email if you have questions!
How many people do I need for a full volleyball team?
All volleyball teams are required to have a minimum of 9 players. If you and your crew don’t have a full roster, we’ll merge you with another small group. FYI – merged teams generally have extra players to protect against forfeits. If you’d like to make sure you have a larger or smaller team, you can register as a prepaid team which allows you determine the amount of players on your team.
How much does it cost to join Play Mile High Volleyball?
You can expect your Denver volleyball league to be anywhere from $59-$69 per player for the entire season. Registration fees are dependent on location and day of the week, so be sure to check the league details carefully. After you sign up, everything else is taken care of for you. Your registration includes league shirt, referees, venue costs, insurance, equipment, prizes, league management and so much more!
Don’t forget, when you sign up with Play Mile High, your league registration helps provide free youth sports programs in Denver through the Volo City Kids Foundation. #playwithpurpose
What are the Play Mile High Volleyball gender requirements?
When signing up your volleyball team, be aware that each team can have a maximum of 6 players on the field at a time. 2 of those players must be female. You must have a minimum of 3 players to play, and 1 of those players must be female. Maximum of 4 males on the court at one time.
Play Mile High Volleyball Rules
The purpose of Play Mile High is to have fun. As an adult volleyball player, it is your personal responsibility to never allow yourself or your teammates to cross that line between fun competition and unsportsmanlike behavior. Our 6v6 League is designed to be more social and is for players of any level.
Code of Sportsmanship
- Volleyball is a self-regulated game that relies on the Honor System. If a fault occurs, you are expected to call it as such.
- Hosts are there to provide rule clarifications, settle disputes, keep the game moving, and ensure player safety.
- Players must treat their fellow volleyball players, hosts, and spectators with respect and courtesy. Personal and malicious remarks directed at anybody in the volleyball community, obscene or otherwise, at any time, have no place in the League.
- Players must respect the authority of the hosts to regulate the game and abide by their decisions. Hosts’ decisions are final.
- Team captains are the only players that should address concerns with the league host. They are expected to do so in a courteous and respectful manner.
- Players are expected to comply with the intent and spirit of the rules. Deliberately attempting to violate the rules is unacceptable.
- Teammates rely on players attending the games. If you fail to attend at least 3 games with no excuse, you may be replaced on the roster if both the captain and league management agree that it is best for your team.
General Game Rules
A. The Game
Co-Ed Volleyball is made up of two teams of 4 or 6 players (4v4, 6v6). Each team must have a minimum of 1 female on the court in order to not forfeit. A best-of-3 format will be used for all matches. Generally, USVBA rules will be used with the following additions, exceptions, and clarifications:
B. Teams and Players
- All players must be at least 21 years of age prior to participating in any Match and must be registered and in good standing with Play Mile High (herein: the “League”).
- Rosters must include no fewer than 7 players (4v4) 9 players (6v6) including a minimum of 1 woman. Each team may have as many players on the roster as the team chooses with no other restrictions. NOTE: If a team of “free agent” registrations is assembled by the League, it will have no more than 12 players.
- Each team may have up to 4 players (4v4) 6 players (6v6) on the court at one time.
- There may not be more than 2 men on the court at a time (4v4).
- There may not be more than 4 men on the court at a time (6v6).
- As long as two members of the team are present during the regular season, a team may use substitute players who are registered and in good standing with the league to field a full team.
- During the playoffs, teams may only use players on their roster.
C. Game Personnel and Their Duties
- Teams and players are responsible for calling their own faults during play.
- League officials have the authority to eject anyone before, during and immediately after any match if they feel it is warranted.
- All decisions made by league hosts are final.
A. Game Start, Ending and Timing
- The team Captains will use rock-paper-scissors to determine the choice of serving first or choosing a side for the first game.
- Teams will switch sides for the second game and the team who did not serve to start the first game shall serve to start the second game.
- A 45-minute time limit will be placed on all games. If time expires in the middle of a game, the team with the most points will be declared the winner of that game. If less than a two-point difference exists between scores the referee or league host will set a cap and the teams will play to that point.
- Teams will forfeit the match if they don’t have at least 2 players from their roster 10 minutes past the designated start time.
- If you know in advance that your team is going to need to forfeit a game, we encourage you to contact us as soon as possible. We will do everything that we can to reschedule your game, but this does not mean that your team will not receive the loss as a forfeit if we cannot accommodate your needs.
- Playoff Eligibility: teams that notch 2 or more forfeits in 1 regular season will not be eligible for the playoffs.
- A game ball will be provided by Play Mile High. Only balls provided by the League will be allowed in play.
- Players must wear athletic, closed-toe shoes (For Indoor Courts).
- Players are strongly encouraged to wear the t-shirts provided by Play Mile High at all times during League play.
D. Match Format
- Matches will be played as a best-of-3 format.
- Rec Scoring: Games will be played to 21 points with a cap of 25 points. A team must win by 2, unless both teams are tied with 25 points. Rally Scoring will be used.
- The third game will be played to 15 points with a cap of 18 points. A team must win by 2, unless both teams are tied with 18 points. Rally scoring will be used.
- Scores should be called out loudly before each serve.
E. Gender Rule
- 4v4: Minimum of 2 total players on the court with 1 female on the court at all times.
- 6v6: Minimum of 3 total players on the court with 1 female on the court at all times.
F. Substitutions / Rotation
- Teams are allowed an unlimited number of substitutions per match.
- Team members must rotate on the court and remain in that position until the serve has been contacted.
- The player in the back right-hand corner of the rotation will be designated to serve and continue to rotate clockwise.
- Any player may block or spike at the net, regardless of rotation.
- Overhand and underhand serves are allowed. Jump serves are not allowed in social leagues. Players are allowed to jump serve in specified A Division leagues.
- When serving the ball, the player has 5 seconds to make contact with the ball before a side-out is called.
- If the ball is served and hits the net but goes over, it is considered a legal serve.
- The serve can be returned with a pass or a set. The serve cannot be blocked or attacked at any time.
- The serve can be made from anywhere behind the end line and within the sideline.
- A server may not step over the end line until the ball has been contacted.
H. Playing Rules and Faults
- A maximum of three consecutive contacts per side after a serve or block attempt is allowed to return the ball.
- A block attempt is not considered a contact.
- No player may hit the ball twice in succession, except after a block.
- No part of the body may touch the net at anytime unless a ball or person driven into the net causes the contact.
- Player contact with the net in a manner not directly relating to or affecting the course of play is not a violation.
- Contact with hair or part of the uniform will not be considered a fault.
- When executing a block or spike, a player may follow through over the net, as long as the individual does not interfere with players on the other side of the net.
- Out of bounds is the area outside the designated court line. The line is IN bounds.
A. Liability Rules
- If League officials have reason to believe a player is too intoxicated to play, that player will be ejected.
- League Management reserves the right to suspend or expel any player from the league for any reason without refund.
- 9 to 15 players will make up a final team
- Games will be played with rally scoring, best of 3 (21-21-15)
All teams make the playoffs at the end of the season (unless you forfeit 2x)
All small groups (2-8 players) & free agents will be merged after registration closes
- Click here for a full list of rules
Players registered with Play Mile High enjoy player perks such as:
- Team T-Shirts
- Special Sponsor Opportunities (see what can happen in our leagues!)
- Invitation to all Play Mile High & Volo Events